Saturday, March 8, 2008

Rant, rave and generally being ticked off!

According to my hubby, I am evil today! LOL! (Just thought ya ought to know just in case I rant more than usual!) I don't think I'm especially hateful *snorts*. Anyway, just got back from a fantastic fun evening. I went to a Pampered Chef party at my friend Amy's and a couple of us stayed after the party and cropped. It was soooo needed. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my family but every mom needs some "big girl" time! To be honest, I personally only got one page done, but it was the conversation that was so great. We decided that we need to have a "croppin' queen" group and do this at least once a month. (Yay!)

Ok, now for the rant. This is something that has bothered me for a while now and I really haven't said much to anyone about it....but as my hubby says I'm evil today so here goes! I absolutely despise when the media blames the erratic, phsychotic behavior of a person (obviously troubled) on the fact that their "bipolar". I mean, "bipolar disorder" has been blamed for Brittany's wild behavior, it was the reason that chick drowned her kids in the bathtub. I hear stories all the time on the news and/or in the paper about people committing these heinous crimes and something will be said or typed "they have bipolar disorder". It infuriates me!

Most people know that I was diagnosed as having "bipolar disorder" when I was 26 (which means 9 years ago!). In that time, I have never once shaved my head, wanted to hurt my own child or anyone else's, committed any offense against anyone or myself. To me, "bipolar" has become an excuse to try to come to grips with why someone is acting or does something completely off their rocker. It isn't really fair to those of us who actually HAVE bipolar disorder and live with it every day. It also, in my opinion, gives everyone else the wrong idea about people who ACTUALLY HAVE bipolar disorder. I've never hidden it, because I'm proud of sucessfully LIVING with bipolar. I'm proud of what I've overcome since being diagnosed and to me, that is NO reason to be shameful.

*whew* glad to get that off my chest, don't know about everyone else, but I feel better! LOL!

No comments: